Saturday, May 1, 2010


On Thursday I started a celtic swirly ring. I milled out a piece of silver that I had melted down and drew my design out on it with sharpie. I then spent the rest of the day sawing out the design by hand. On Friday I soldered it together and polished it. I like this ring because it is very art nouveau. However, it is also very fragile, due to the thin parts that were sawed out.



The other ring I made took me only part of one day. I made five simple bands and soldered them together. I then made a bezel for a penny pearl that I had already ground down. I soldered the bezel to a back plate, then sawed it out, and soldered it onto the five rings. I put the pearl in and pushed the bezel edge over.

The only problem that I encountered with this ring was that the solder seam on the bezel was not good enough, so when I tried to solder the ends together the solder did not flow down the crack, and instead leeched onto the surface of the silver and melted the ends enough so that the bezel was too small. So I had to remake the bezel, but it wasn't hard since I have had so much practice at it.

Now, I have two more days at Barry's then I move onto the photography portion of my project. However, I have completely run out of things to make since I have made everything I originally designed in my sketch book. Now I am scrambling to come up with some designs that I can get done in two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment