Thursday, May 6, 2010


So, yesterday I re-made the leaf ring that I had made previously but melted. I also made another leaf ring of a different style, a small pounded ring for Kayla, and two pendants. The small leaf ring you see above didn't take all that long because I knew exactly what I was doing with it. Surprisingly the solder seam was perfectly aligned so I didn't melt the ring again. The other leaf ring I made is for Daniela's mom for Mother's Day. It is pretty simple as you can see, just a leaf that wraps around your finger. With both of these rings I got to learn two new skills. 1) I learned how to use a bur to engrave the surface of the silver, 2) I got to learn how to oxidize silver so that the engraved parts look black and stand out more.


The small pounded ring looks like the bigger one I had already made, except that it is a pinky ring. There really isn't much to this ring since all I had to do was mill out some wire, flatten it, solder it, and then pound it with a rounded hammer. So it was simple really.

The two pendants I really like. The one with the flat pearl I had started making on Tuesday. As I already told you I wanted to make a twisted rope ring but instead ended up making a pendant because the piece was too small. Anyway I soldered the ends together, which was very hard since I had six pieces of wire to solder together, and connected the penny pearl to it on the inside.


The other pendant is a three part piece. The symbols are peace, love, and peace/love/harmony. Confusing I know, but the bird stands for all three of those I guess. So I simply melted some silver, milled it flat, drew my designs on the surface, then saw them out. Then I connected them to this chain and there you have a cute little necklace.

1 comment:

  1. Nellie! How does it work to place an order?! I am not only really proud of your work, but of your blog - very thorough, thoughtful and complete. You are a true professional! We should talk soon - practice next week! Get in touch!
    Chauncy

    ReplyDelete