Thursday, April 22, 2010

I worked on two different rings today. One is a faceted round stone and the other is an oval shaped turquoise. The round stone ring is all soldered together. The bezel for the stone, the back on the bezel, and the band for the ring are all soldered together. It took me about three times to get it right because of small imperfections that can screw up the whole piece. For those of you that have never soldered, which I am assuming is all of you, the seams that you solder together have to be completely flush. It sounds like a simple task but it takes hours! While making my band for the ring I accidentally cut the band too short and had to change how the it attached to the bezel. This tacked on another hour and a half to my ring. Anyway, after lots of help from Arturo and Julio, I was able to solder the ring together. Now all I have left to do is file it, polish it, set the stone in it, and tap the metal around the stone so it stays.
The other ring, the oval turquoise ring, is not quite as far. I have all of the pieces assembled and the bezel for the stone fits, which is not an easy task. I made sure to cut the band for this one the right length. So, tomorrow I will solder the whole thing together and go through the same process as the other ring. Hopefully I finish tomorrow and you will get to see the finished pieces! Oh and Arturo felt bad for me so he hooked me up with my own torch and soldering board so that I wouldn't have to keep asking Lara to use hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment