Monday, April 26, 2010




So, I finally finished my round stone ring. After the solder seam on the bezel cracked on Friday, I made another bezel. This was tricky because it had to be the exact same thickness and size as the previous bezel, since I had already attached the back plate, for the bezel, to the ring. So, I made the new bezel and luckily didn't cut it too short or file it too much. Now the whole thing is soldered. I spent a lot of the day making the bezel and attaching it, and then doing the usual file, sand, and polish. If you are wondering why this is necessary it is because when you work with silver it gets very scratched and marred. From pliers and other tools there are often little makings that need to be cleaned up. To do this you file the silver down so that the mark isn't there anymore. After this you have to go through four grits of sand paper, ranging from coarse to fine, and gradually make the surface smoother. Then you move onto polishing, which is the last form of buffer. The polishing is my favorite part because when you are working on a ring it tends to look very beat up and marred. When you are done with the buffer process it takes away all the ugly spots and gives you a beautiful ring.


The ring below is a ring made of Precious Metal Clay (PMC). Working with this material is just like working with clay except that it dries out much quicker and it is infused with silver. All one has to do is shape the clay how they want it, fire it, and there you have a silver ring. When it is fired all of the clay compound fires out and all you are left with is silver. The problem with PMC is that it does not have a nice polished finish like normal silver does. So, since I have the resources, I have been polishing and refining my PMC rings to have the polished finish that regular silver rings do.

No comments:

Post a Comment